With all the news at the moment and finding the weather being a lot nicer I have been thinking about nature ideas and think this
Expressive Arts and Design activity combines the two and also is great to promote Speaking and Listening and Emotional Wellbeing.
Twig and Wool Worry dolls.
Like the Mayan Worry dolls we decided to endow our twig family with the same responsibilites for example being good liseners and confidantes.
You will need:
- Twigs or Lolly sticks
- Wool or Twine
To set up:
- Go outside and collect sticks (How many can you find this is great for counting?)
- Put the sticks in a cross position
- Weave the twine over and under the meeting point several times then pulling it tight to secure. You should now have a frame to work with and personalise.
- Why not make your own family of stick people. (Talk about size for maths)
- Encourage your child to whisper their worries, fears and anxieties to them.
- Take the dolls outside holding them carefully and asking the wind to blow their worries away.
For a Literacy task I have been thinking about one of my favourite stories about Dolls. Watch the video and then answer the questions.
- What animal print does the girl have on her slippers?
- What does the girl keep losing?
- What does the girls mother help her make?