What is the Sports Premium?
Since London 2012, the Government has provided additional funding to schools to enhance the availability and quality of Physical Education (PE) and Sports provision. This funding is provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and is sent directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of physical education and sports for children. The funding is ring-fenced, and the money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs.
How will we be spending the Sports Funding and who will benefit?
Here at St John’s we believe that the money must be used so that all children benefit regardless of sporting ability. We invest heavily in ensuring every child gets the best PE teaching, and we use sports grant to enhance the provision currently in place.
For a breakdown of how we spent last year's sports premium grant please see the report below.
Sports Premium Report 2017 - 2018
Sports Premium Report 2016 - 2017
Sports Premium Report 2015 - 2016
Sports Premium Report 2013 - 2014