Natural thinkers is a programme which promotes outdoor learning and helps children to connect with nature through a range of fun and inspiring activities. Here at St. John the Divine, we promote outdoor learning through our broad and balanced curriculum, beginning in the Early Years and continuing through to Key Stage One and Key Stage Two.
Our Early Years and Key Stage One classes have been recently awarded the
Natural Thinkers Setting status. We have shown our committment to their ten principles:
1. Children have access to a range of natural areas and materials outside.
2. Children have opportunities to grow, pick and taste produce.
3. Children have access to gardening and digging.
4. Children care for their natural environment.
5. Children engage with the weather and seasons.
6. Children have opportunities to engage with wildlife.
7. Children have daily access to the outside.
8. Settings ensure no child is excluded from outdoor activities.
9. Settings ensure parents have opportunities to get involved with Natural Thinkers activities.
10. At least 1 member of staff must have attended Natural Thinkers training.
Children are given regular opportunities to learn outside across the curriculum.
Our Natural Thinkers Club offers children further out-of-hours opportunities to further deepen their understanding of the natural world.
Recently in Natural Thinkers.....
We have been making a bug hotel in the garden. We have used a variety of materials including straw, sticks, logs, bricks, dead leaves and garden canes to create different microhabitats for different minibeasts to live in.