On behalf of the staff, children and governors I would like to welcome you to the St John the Divine Church of England Primary School website. I hope you enjoy looking around our website and that it gives you a flavour of the wonderful experiences that are available to children in our school.
St John the Divine is a Church of England primary school which links with the surrounding communities in both Lambeth and Southwark. You will find our school in Camberwell, not far from the Oval. Our old Victorian building looks deceptively small from the Camberwell New Road entrance, but hides a wealth of spaces which have been developed and adapted to enable us to provide a wide range of learning opportunities.
Here at St John the Divine we are a Christian learning community dedicated to providing the best educational experiences for our pupils. Our aim is to ensure that all of our children are able to achieve their full potential; that they become successful learners, confident individuals and that they leave us ready for the next stage in their learning journey.
The Governors and staff of St John the Divine Primary School fully recognise the responsibilities and duty placed upon them to have arrangements to promote the welfare of all pupils and ensure they are safeguarded from harm.
We aim to create in our school:
- A secure, caring and welcoming environment, which meets the needs of all learners and includes them in every aspect of school life
- A stimulating and challenging environment fostering self-discipline and encouraging positive attitudes and behaviours
- A commitment by Governors, staff, parents, pupils and visitors to do what is in the best interest of the school community
- The opportunity for all pupils through the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and the National Curriculum, to develop their potential in accordance with their abilities, interests and aspirations.
As a Church of England School we believe in nurturing the God-given gifts of all our children. Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10)
In order to ensure the best context for achievement and good behaviour in school, teachers at St. John the Divine are committed to:
- Offering stimulating learning environments in which children’s work is valued and well displayed
- Setting clear boundaries of good behaviour
- Creating opportunities for pupils to work from direct experience
- Carefully preparing resources to a high standard ready for the task ahead
- Ensuring materials are appropriate to the task, clearly organised, labelled and accessible
- Setting work, which responds to children’s needs, giving positive encouragement for each individual to achieve their best
- Ensuring success is celebrated
- Ensuring cultures, values and beliefs are respected and reflected in the curriculum and life of the school
- Providing a safe, secure environment where the way in which people talk to each other reflects good relationships and encourages self-control and self-esteem in both adults and children
- Establishing positive, true and effective partnerships between home and school
We believe that the partnership between home and school is central to meeting these aims. As parents and carers we encourage you to take an active role in your child’s education throughout their time here at St Johns.
Prospective parents are warmly invited to visit our school and to experience what life would be like for a child here at St. John’s. We hold monthly open mornings for parents; staff in the office will be only too happy to book you and your child in for a visit.
I consider it a privilege to be the Head Teacher of such a vibrant school, with children who have a thirst for learning and a staff team who are dedicated and passionate; I hope you enjoy finding out about St John the Divine and all the wonderful experiences and opportunities we have to offer.